The Board of the Mount Gilead Public Library approved the following Strategic Plan for 2019-2024
Mount Gilead Public Library Strategic Plan 2019-2024
Mission Statement: Mount Gilead Public Library connects people to a world of ideas and to each other.
Service Response #1 Connect to the Online World: Public Internet Access
Residents will have high-speed access to the digital world with no unnecessary restrictions or fees to ensure that everyone can take advantage of the ever-growing resources and services available through the Internet.
Objective: Upgrade and maintain public access computers
- Perform regular maintenance on all computers to ensure longevity.
- Purchase software from Tech Soup when acquiring new computers.
Objective: Expand online capabilities and services
- Fully utilize social media to connect with the community online.
- Keep the website updated with information pertaining to the library.
- Promote wireless printing capabilities.
- Train staff members how to help patrons with technology issues on a one-on-one basis.
- Make the public aware of the state databases.
Service Response #2 Stimulate Imagination: Reading, Viewing and Listening for Pleasure
Residents who want materials to enhance their leisure time will find what they want, when and where they want it, and will have the help needed to make choices from available options.
Objective: Create a collection that is utilized by the community
- Seek popular authors to purchase on a regular basis.
- Investigate how other libraries develop their collections.
- Seek advice from teachers and young adults on materials to purchase for young adult section.
- Investigate companies such as Junior Library Guild to enhance our children’s collection.
- Create read-alikes with promotional materials such as fliers and bookmarks for the public.
Service Response #3 Satisfy Curiosity: Lifelong Learning
Residents will have the resources they need to explore topics of personal interest and continue to learn throughout their lives.
Objective: Develop new programs that will be attended by the community
- Investigate more programs for children and young adults.
- Find volunteers to begin intergenerational programs such as Chess Club.
- Begin craft related programs such as crocheting or quilting clubs.
- Provide programs both at the library and off-site for the senior population.
- Investigate the creation of a makerspace area in the library.
Service Response #4 Visit a Comfortable Place: Physical and Virtual Spaces Residents will have safe and welcoming physical spaces to meet and interact with others, or to sit quietly and read and will have open and accessible virtual spaces to support networking.
Objective: Address staff concerns
- Look into reconfiguring the 2nd floor staff area to address safety and security concerns.
- Examine work flow for staff on all three floors.
Objective: Update patron areas
- Purchase soft seating for all areas.
- Investigate enclosed quiet areas for individuals and small groups.
Board Approved May 15, 2019